Junior Cocoa Trader
Job description Junior Cocoa Trader
The Junior Cocoa Trader (“Trader”) will be developing himself and will be assisted in such a development, to a trading team member that can independently create a profit contribution on a medium term through:
• Trading and marketing physical cocoa
• Trading cocoa futures and options and foreign exchange
• Preparing and conducting market research for trading and management purposes as well as marketing
The Trader is expected to have a basic understanding of the futures, options and forex industry and trading strategies, preferably in cocoa or otherwise across soft and agricultural commodities.
Reports to the Head Trader
1. Futures & FX trading
2. Risk Management
3. Market research
4. Buying, marketing and selling
5. Contract Management
6. Relationship management
7. Contract execution
9. Management support
1. Futures & FX trading • Support and backing-up the Head Trader and the other traders in all activities relating to futures and forex trading
Develop and maximize, jointly with the Trade Team, the company’s trading strategy within the guidelines of the risk management policy
2. Risk management • Create insight for trading team in the portfolio risks of both the physical and the futures trading book in terms of positions allocation, value at risk and risk controls with full understanding on statements and trading reports
3. Market research • Conduct research and analyse data in supply and demand factors of cocoa, related markets and of macro-economic fundamentals
Prepare analytical commodity market reviews for trading team and clients
4. Buying, marketing and selling • Assist traders in buying and selling of physical cocoa to maximize company revenue
5. Contract Management
• Capturing of business and trades in the ERP system (DycoTrade)
• Prepare business reports from ERP system to provide insights into portfolio risks
6. Relationship management • Maintaining and developing commercial relationships with suppliers and buyers.
7. Contract execution • Assist traders in sound execution of sale and purchase contracts
• Solid communication with and provide support for back-office and logistics team
• Close liaison with origin teams/local representatives
8. Sustainability • Support CR Officer with implementation of sustainability projects/strategy in origins and in connection with clients
9. Management and team support
• Support the management and team in daily execution of sales and purchase contracts
• Support the management in execution of sourcing and trading strategies and risk management
• Work closely with trading and origin teams to ensure market share growth in the cocoa market
Education, knowledge and experience
• Level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (Mathematics, Econometrics, Economics, Finance, Agriculture, Business Administration).
• 1+ years of experience in preferably physical cocoa or other softs/agricultural commodities trading is preferred.
• Practical experience in a tropical commodity origin, preferably cocoa could be an advantage
• Basic knowledge on cocoa or other softs/agricultural markets
• Good understanding of risk management in relation to physical softs/agricultural commodities trading
• Fluent in English, and preferably French and/or Spanish, both verbal and written.
• Team player with strong commercial acumen.
Good analytical and numerical skills with attention to detail.
• Keen sense of priorities to meet short deadlines.
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft office applications, especially Excel.
• Entrepreneurial, dynamic and looking for trading opportunities.
• Continuous drive to understand and beat the market.
• Well organized, accurate.
• Effective and convincing communicator and negotiator.
• Committed and determined. Pro-active, focussed and decisive, a winner!
Work Status Full time
Rotterdam, the Netherlands Travel Position requires international travelling